Recipe of the Day – Winter Game Casserole
Valentines day has always been a mixed bag for me, I don’t really do lovey dovey stuff but I do love an excuse to cook a posh meal. There is something luxurious about game and I couldn’t help but make a casserole – the wintery weather outside is just calling out for it. The idea was to do grainy mustard mash on the side with the roasted root vegs but in true Naomi style the potatoes got converted to roasties for ease. The greens are simply steamed but you could sauté with garlic if you prefer.
Game Casserole with Roasted Root Veg and Steamed Greens
- One pack of Wild Game Mix – they are usually 320g – preferably venison, pheasant and partridge.
- 200g of bacon
- 250g of Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 2 tbsp Pomegranate Molasses
- 1 tsbp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 50 to 100mls boiling water
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- For the Roast Veg:
- 1 Large Parsnip
- 4 medium potatoes
- 300g of Butternut squash
- 2 tbsp honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- large handful of kale
- large handful of spinach
- If you are using the oven preheat to 180c if you are using a slow cooker skip this step.
- Place the game in a mixing bowl and add the flour and paprika to season, ensure it is all coated well.
- Slice the bacon and place in a medium hot pan
- Once the bacon is cooked and fat has started to melt add the game mix.
- Make sure the game is browned all over before adding your stock cube, tomato paste and boiling water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes reducing and adding a little more water if necessary.
- Place the frozen vegetables in the casserole dish or slow cooker and place the casserole on top.
- Place casserole dish in oven if using and cook for 1hr30.
- If using slow cooker – put it on high for 1hr30 then down to warm whilst you are roasting the root veg and steaming the greens.
- For the roasted root veg – if your oven is already on then skip this step – preheat to 180c.
- Peel the parsnip and the butternut squash and cut into chunks.
- Chop the potato into chunks and place all of it in a large roasting tray.
- Add some plain vegetable oil and a glug of olive oil.
- Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle dried thyme over it and drizzle over the honey. Mix well in the pan.
- Place in oven for 45 minutes.
- Steam the greens in the last 15 minutes or so.
- Serve the casserole on top of the root veg and greens.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!