A Fishy Delight – Recipe Of The Day
Thursday is a day where it could be either of us cooking. I decided this week it was me, the freezer was starting to look quite empty but the bag of haddock filets were newly opened with 2 reasonable size pieces ready and waiting to be cooked. I had been discussing with my sister what to do with this haddock, we ran through all the usual and settled on using foil to bake it in the oven.
I played around with spice combinations in my head, zaatar came to mind almost instantly and in a crazy turn of events where I actually have fresh lemons and garlic the fish part of the dish was complete. The rest would come in the form of a spicy couscous and lemon cooked vegetables for a light and budget friendly dish. This dish is suitable for any number of different firm white fish so if you do not have haddock do not despair!
My apologies for not taking pictures as ever – I must try and get better at that!
Haddock with Zaatar, Lemon and Garlic
- 2 Frozen Haddock Filets – sub for a range of similar white fish – cooking time will be less with fresh fish.
- 1-1/2 tbsp zaatar
- 1 fresh lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 200c/392f
- Cut 2 sheets of foil the size of a baking tray.
- Place one fish filet on each sheet.
- Sprinkle zaatar over each filet – use generously so if you need more than 1-1/2 tbsp then go for it.
- Slice the cloves of garlic finely and the lemon the same.
- Layer garlic between the fish and the lemon.
- Drizzle oil across both filets and top with salt and black pepper.
- Place in oven for 20 minutes. If cooking fresh fish adjust oven time to 10 minutes.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!