A Kinda Enchilada Recipe – Delayed
This yummy recipe actually came of an attempt at a quesadilla recipe I found in my ‘Make One Change’ folder from Musclefoods.com. I had looked at the recipe and in my usual way decided to see how I could make it a bit better (more like didn’t really fancy going shopping), although I’m sure its delicious if you follow it exactly I like to put my own spin on things. I’ve included vegan subs if you are that way inclined.
Laziness over accuracy – this is not something I encourage but some recipes can be made even easier by letting them stew for a while or baking them, giving you extra time to sit down or do something else for 10 minutes. I’d like to be able to tell you I remembered to photograph the process but as usual…
- 2 Chicken Breasts (sliced) – or a pack of Vegan/Quorn chikn strips
- 1 medium red onion
- half a medium courgette
- a small green pepper chopped in to 1″ chunks
- a small red pepper chopped in to 1″ chunks
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes in rich juice
- tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp fresh chilli paste
- 1 tsp honey/maple syrup
- Mexican chilli spice grinder (or use steak seasoning with extra dried chilli)
- 2 to 4 wholemeal/seeded tortilla wraps preferably corn for gluten-free
- 2-inch piece of chorizo/jackfruit pepperoni (optional)
- Spray a large frying pan with your low calorie cooking spray and place over a high heat. Saute the onion for 5 to 7 minutes until clear.
- Add your chicken breasts and cook until the juices run clear. Add your pepperoni if using.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and saute for 2 minutes before adding the tinned tomatoes, chilli paste and honey/maple syrup
- Layer your ingredients in the following order on half of each wrap, a sprinkling of cheese, your courgette, chicken, sweetcorn, tomato salsa, and some more cheese. Then fold your wrap in half so all the edges meet.
- Spray a pan with your low calorie cooking spray and place your quesadilla back in, and fry over a high heat and cook until nicely browned on one side. Flip over and cook until your cheese has melted.
- . Transfer your quesadillas to a chopping board and cut each one into 3 wedges. Serve warm with salsa on the side.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!