So official lockdown started in the UK today, not quite to the same extend as other countries but still enough to disrupt the general order of things. Life will be spent hopefully working from home for the next three weeks and I will be using the time to work on myself and my writing, I will still be posting everyday possibly more than once a day if I feel moved to do so, but most importantly I will be finishing off my novel.
I rarely work from home normally as our MD does not like it, but when I have done I have learnt some very important lessons. Here are a few tips to get you started if this is your first foray into lone working.
- Find a quiet place – I appreciate this will be hard for some of you with family life happening around you, especially now the kids are home, but there needs to be a mutual understanding, you need time to work then they can see you later, if your kids have online lessons all the better, they can be doing it whilst you get on with your work.
- Get dressed – yes it sounds great staying in your pyjamas all day but trust me after a week of it you will understand that it does your mental health absolutely no good. You dont need a suit but at least put some clothes on and show the world you mean it.
- Lunch breaks/Coffee breaks – take as you would normally in the office, do not tether yourself to the screen for hours on end, no matter how engrossed you get your work, if you have to set a timer go for it.
- Sit at a table – the sofa is not your friend in this case, you need to try and sit up and maintain your posture, otherwise you will be hunched and in pain by the time all this is over.
- Eat and Drink healthily – snacking on the chocolate cupboard all day is another no no, if its really a problem Graze.com has you covered with a bunch of healthy snacks and a permanent 10% discount, if you would like your first box free message me via facebook or twitter and I will give you my sharing code (UK only)
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!