Veggie Italian Bread Soup
“Are you consciously giving up meat?” My father asked over lunch as I was telling him about my latest vegetarian creation – I explained that as I prep my 4 days worth of lunches for work days I was not overly keen on prepping things with meat in, partly due to food hygiene (although im sure it would be fine) and because I simply dont need that much protein. I put the veggies image up on my Instagram and was requested to publish the recipe. I have previously made and posted an Italian Bread soup recipe on the blog with meat in it so this one is for everyone let me know what you think in the comments below.
- 2 stale bread rolls (the harder the better) broken into chunks
- One red or yellow bell pepper (not green) sliced finely
- One medium size red onion sliced finely
- 4 sticks Cavolo Nero (sub with kale or Savoy cabbage if not available) chopped
- 100g ripe cherry tomatoes
- 200g tomato passata
- 1 tbsp italian herbs
- Seasonal greens or similar pale cabbage chopped
- 400g roasted butternut squash and sweet potato mix
- 750ml of hot stock (variety tailored to your needs)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Heat the oil and fry the onions so they are soft but not too golden
- Add the rest of the vegetables apart from the cherry tomatoes and saute them until soft then add the herbs
- Add the stale bread and incorporated so that its coated in the flavours
- Add the passata and the stock and mix (if the bread soaks up the liquid too fast add some extra boiling water
- Add the cherry tomatoes
- Leave to simmer for at least 45 minutes on low (or use a crockpot/slow cooker and put on low for a couple of hours, or even if you prefer place in ovenproof casserole dish and cook in oven for 1.5 hours on 150c/300f/gas mark 2
This soup ages well in the fridge as the flavours mature so perfect for lunch preps as it will only get better. Feel free to play with the vegetables – I have largely chosen seasonal vegetables simply for the quality.
If you would like to grab a copy of my book and support my writing it is available in both print and kindle version check out the links below. Donate to your favourite charity when you buy my book using Amazon Smile!